Home | About us | Park History | Natural History | Lottery Update | Events | Latest News | Newsletters | Gallery | Park Users | Community | Contact us
Friends of Grosvenor & Hilbert Park

The History of Grosvenor & Hilbert Park

We will be exploring various historical aspects of the Park and the people associated with it over the coming months. Check the menu on the right and come back to check for updates.

The Grosvenor Recreation Ground was Tunbridge Wells’ first public park. It was opened in 1889 on the site of the former Calverley Water Works, engineered by William Hilbert.

In 1931 William Hilbert’s grandson, Cllr E.J. Strange, bought the “Charity Farm” lands to the north east, and presented them to the council. He requested they be named Hilbert Recreation Grounds after his mother, Lydia. This land also includes the Hilbert Recreation Ground Allotments.

The original Farmhouse, now called “Packs in the Woods” is privately owned.

See also...
Feeding Frenzy

Wed 19th December 2018

Give the birds a helping hand in the colder weather by making food balls for them.

Drop-in event at the Hub.

Children should be accompanied by an adult.

Suggested donation £1 per person.

 
Privacy & Cookies | Terms & Copyright | Log in